Lemon Soufflé

I'm starting off with my absolute all-time favourite  - Lemon Soufflé. This is an old recipe from the Hulme and Downs Cordon Bleu cookbook. Whilst a bit of a faff to make, the result is delicious.

Every year, I take part in the Stour Music Festival, making puddings in the Artists' Tent. I re-introduced Lemon Soufflé four years ago, and it has now become one of the stalwarts.  This is three times the quantity of the recipe below, decorated with whipped cream, St John's Wort flowers (inedible!) and mint leaves.  A pudding has to be delicious to look at, as well as to eat.  

This and other mouthwatering recipes, including some exclusive ones are in my cookbook, found on my website. 

Lemon Souffle
Cold Lemon Soufflé 

3 large eggs
8oz/225g caster sugar
2 ½ lemons
½ pint/300ml cream
½ oz/12g gelatine (leaf or powder)
½ gill water (2.5 fl oz/75ml)
To finish: extra cream

Separate the eggs and place the yolks, sugar and grated lemon rind in a bowl and whisk until thick.  I usually do this in a Kenwood with the whisk.    Heat the lemon juice, add, and continue whisking “to the ribbon” (ie, pale and very thick).    This takes ages!

Half-whip the cream and fold into the mixture.  Dissolve the gelatine in the water over heat and stir into the mixture.  Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks but not dry.   Set the soufflé mixture on ice and fold in the egg whites (I don’t bother with the ice).  This is easier if you stir in a tablespoon of whisked egg white first to break the mix up a bit and then fold in the rest.   (It’s very hard to avoid little islands of egg white.) 

As the mixture begins to thicken, turn at once into a large bowl and put in the fridge to set.   When firm, decorate with cream and anything else that takes your fancy!  

If you like this recipe, why not let me know how you got on with it?  I'm also on Facebook "Kate's Puddings" and Twitter @katespuddings.  My cookbook is on sale via my website www.katespuddings.co.uk and this recipe is one of the 75 delicious recipes featured in it, many of which will never be on the blog. 


Comments

  1. Thank you Kate! I love this recipe and many years ago owned the Hume and Downes book from which it came. The book somehow got lost and no other recipes have ever matched it. So glad to have tracked it down and am doing it for a family dinner tonight.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still my total favourite.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts