Never-fail Easy Chocolate Cake

This chocolate cake has never been known to fail - it is a light, whisked sponge mix, with a little butter (which you can leave out for a dairy-free version).   The recipe is in cups, and I think it is Australian - it was given to my mother many years ago by an Australian Army wife, and is a family favourite.  I don't know how large Australian cups are, but I usually use a good-sized mug and it turns out perfectly!

It is also an ideal cake for children, as no weighing out is needed, and it is very quick to cook.   It doesn't work with gluten-free flour.   This is one I made for my niece, Sophie, for her birthday.

Quick Chocolate Cake
Never-fail Easy Chocolate Cake

Cake:
3 large eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup self raising flour
pinch of salt
2 tbsp cocoa
½ cup milk with a teaspoon of butter melted into it

Butter Icing:
4oz/110g butter (preferably, though you could use a dairy-free alternative for a dairy-free cake)
6oz/170g sieved icing sugar
1 tbsp cocoa, mixed with enough boiling water to make a stiff paste
decorations – chocolate preferably!

Preheat oven to 180 deg C, and line the base of two 8” sandwich tins with non-stick baking parchment. 

Whisk the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy (longer the better).   Fold in the sifted flour, cocoa and salt, then add the hot milk and butter.    Pour the mixture into the tins and shake it slightly to level it.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes until it is well risen, brown and rises back when pressed with a gentle finger.    Turn out of the tins onto a rack, peel off the parchment and leave to cool.

In a food processor, blend the icing ingredients, and smooth over the cakes.  Sandwich together and decorate to taste – grated dark chocolate for adults, bright sweets for children. 

If you like this recipe, why not let me know how you got on with it?  I'm also on Facebook "Kate's Puddings" and Twitter @katespuddings.  My cookbook is on sale via my website www.katespuddings.co.uk.  This recipe is featured in my cookbook, together with 75 others, many of which will not be appearing on the blog!

Comments

Popular Posts