Nigella's Doughnut French Toast


For my 100th post, I thought I'd go to one of my favourite cooks for inspiration - Nigella Lawson. Nigella's food is amazing, and this French Toast is nothing short of fabulous.... it tastes just like hot jam doughnuts, and is so good I had to make it straight after seeing her making it on TV!  It's great comfort food, although I have made better looking puddings.  Go on, try it... you know you want to.

Nigella's Doughnut French Toast


Nigella’s Doughnut French Toast

2 large eggs
3 floz/60ml milk (Nigella uses full-fat, but I prefer semi-skimmed)
4 tsps vanilla extract
4 medium to thick slices white bread
1 oz/25g butter plus a few drops of vegetable oil
2oz/50g caster sugar
home made jam

In a shallow bowl beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla.   Cut the bread slices into halves, and dip each half into the egg mixture, turning over so they are fully coated and sopping (which is the traditional name for putting bread into liquid!). 

Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the bread until it is golden brown.   Put the sugar on a flat plate and dip the toasts into it until they are coated with sugar.  Drop jam onto each piece and eat quickly!  This claims to serve 2. Really?  It's too good to share!


Comments

Popular Posts