Syllabub


Syllabub is a deliciously traditional English pudding.  The name apparently means "silly bubbles" and it was originally made by pouring cream from a height over a mixture of alcohol, lemon and sugar.  So it hasn't changed much, except that I find it easier to put the whole lot into a Kenwood mixer!   I have no idea where this recipe came from, as my mother passed it on about 30 years ago, and it has been my favourite quick stand-by ever since.  Normally made with just lemon juice, I tried adding orange, which was equally good.   Ideally, this should be served with little biscuits or tuiles.  I get no marks for the presentation here - in an ideal world the orange and lemon zest should be prettily distributed over the syllabub....

Syllabub

Orange and Lemon Syllabub 

½ pint/280ml double cream
3oz/75g caster sugar
¼ pint/140ml sherry
rind and juice of half a lemon and half an orange

Pour all the ingredients into a deep bowl and whisk until thick/put into a Kenwood/Kitchen Aid mixer – it will splash everywhere.  Spoon into four pretty little glass dishes and chill until it has firmed up slightly.  Decorate with whatever takes your fancy!  






Comments

Popular Posts