Fresh Kiwi Sorbet


Continuing the ice cream theme, I thought I'd try something new!  Kiwis are the kind of fruit which lurk in the fruit bowl, as you tend to buy them rock hard, and then discover that they have passed through the spectrum to inedible without stopping at "ripe".  My children called them "Dinosaur's Eyes", and I continue to buy them in the mistaken belief that I will eat them myself....  so when I saw a pack of 8 reduced for quick sale, I couldn't resist.   Sorbet is basically a sugar syrup, plus fruit.  You can make the syrup any time and keep it in the fridge for ages.  

This sorbet is a little soft, which I understand is as a result of too much sugar, but the sorbet was a great hit nonetheless with my oldest son, who found it while I was away... .

Fresh Kiwi Sorbet

Fresh Kiwi Sorbet

8 kiwis, preferably ripe!
8oz/225g sugar
½ pint of water
juice of ½ lemon

First make a sugar syrup by putting the water and sugar into a pan and heating until the sugar has dissolved.  Simmer for 5 -10 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and leave it to cool entirely (you can put it in the freezer!).  

Peel the kiwis and purée in a blender.   You could use it like this, but I prefer to sieve out the black pips, as it had more than a passing resemblance to frog spawn.

Mix together the syrup, lemon and purée and churn the mixture in an ice cream maker.   Alternatively, freeze in a shallow container in the freezer, breaking it up with a fork every hour or so to stop large crystals from forming.  This sorbet doesn’t set rock solid.

This makes enough for about 4, depending on greed. 

Comments

Popular Posts