Pineapple Carpaccio with Caramelised Walnuts


Is the most depressing thing about New Year the endless magazine and newspaper articles about boringly abstemious diets?  As a pudding lover, I find this relentless food fascism very irritating, especially in the English winter, where a good pudding will keep out the cold far better than a couple of fancy dandelion leaves....  and you can tell Gwyneth Paltrow I said so!   Having said all that, this is my token "diet pudding" - a really quick and easy fruit carpaccio - light, refreshing and healthy.    Don't worry, I'll be back on form next time with some delicious winter iced buns....

Pineapple Carpaccio with Caramelised Walnuts

Pineapple Carpaccio with Caramelised Walnuts

1 pineapple, peeled  
2oz/50g walnut pieces
2oz/50g dark soft brown sugar
2oz/50g butter
Fresh basil (or mint)
2 tbsp rum

Slice the pineapple in rounds as thinly as you can, using a bread knife.  I then cored it (maybe I should have done this first!), as I thought the inner parts were still a bit too woody to be acceptable.  Arrange the pineapple on a flat serving dish and pour on the rum.

In a frying pan, bubble together the sugar and butter and drop in the walnuts.  Fry for a couple of minutes until the sugar and butter have coated the walnuts and they are slightly caramelised (if in doubt, don’t do this for too long as it will burn).

Sprinkle the caramelised walnuts and any delicious caramelised lumps of sugar on the pineapple.  Decorate with strips of fresh basil or mint.  

Comments

  1. Hello Kate - As a fellow baker/pudding lover, I was introduced to your blog by a mutual acquaintance. This looks good for those who want something a little lighter - for myself, I would be tempted to naughty it up a little more by also frying the pineapple in the butter and sugar before plating it. Looking forward to your winter iced buns!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts