David's Abbey Crunch Biscuits


When not cooking, singing or doing the Reserves, I am a chimney surveyor, spending a large part of my week visiting people to look at their chimneys and fireplaces.   I then advise and cost work to fit woodburning stoves.  It is the most wonderful job, as I see a range of houses, from the amazing to "just-above-dysentery" and customers likewise!   Sometimes I meet a fellow baker, which was my especial joy one morning, when I was introduced to David, and his amazing biscuits.  Note to prospective customers - biscuits are ALWAYS welcome.... David produced a tin of these fabulous biscuits, and I have to say that my visit lasted far longer than usual!

David has adapted this recipe from "National Trust Teatime Recipes" - I think the original one didn't have coconut -  and I have adapted it slightly from his recipe too (I thought he could be more generous with the golden syrup).  If you used a blend, this could be a gluten free recipe.  They taste like fresh versions of the old Abbey Crunch biscuits I used to love as a child!

Abbey Crunch Biscuits
.David’s Abbey Biscuits/Syrupy Oatmeal Crunchies

4oz/110g butter
4oz/110g caster sugar
1 dsp Golden Syrup
4oz/110g self raising flour
4oz/110g rolled oats
½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
3tbsp cream
Half a cup of desiccated coconut

Preheat the oven to 170 deg C.   Line two baking trays with greased foil or baking parchment.    In a large saucepan soften the butter and add the caster sugar and golden syrup and stir thoroughly.   Add the self-raising flour and oats and mix well.  Then add the bicarbonate of soda followed by the cream and about half a cup of desiccated coconut. The result should be thick and gooey, sticky but able to drop off the spoon.

David says the next part is critical – you drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the greased foil/parchment, then pat it down flatly and evenly to make a solid, compacted plain surface (about ¼ “/5mm thick).   Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown, with slightly darker edges.  Cool in the tin, and then cut up after about 20 minutes.   Allow them to finish cooling before you eat them (David, really????).  


Comments

Popular Posts